Saturday, May 12, 2018

Why Run Now?

It was on March 25th, two days before filing for office ended that I heard from three women who were already signed up or thinking about running.  "Cheryl, we need a full team, one of us available for every position on the field.  The team can't win if we don't have players on the field" So four of us signed up on the last day. Good people, good candidates who, when elected, will serve with passion and distinction. There are a total of 16 good people, 9 of them women, who are running for office in St. Charles County.  I am proud of this group of brave people and I am proud to be one of them.

It seems like such a short time it has been since I last served in elected office and in the grand scheme of things 8 years really is not so long ago.  But when you look at the level of discourse, the heated arguments, and the us vs. them mentality that has taken over today's politics it would seem as if a hundred years has passed.

We've come to a time in politics when you are labeled a traitor if you agree on anything the other party says. I pledge to conduct myself in a way that is civil, honest, and respectful toward people with whom I disagree. I value people from different cultures, I value people with different ideas, and I value and cherish the democratic process.

No comments:

Post a Comment